Friday, November 4, 2011

AGAIN . . .

AGAIN . . .

"Then He arose from there and came to the region of 
Judea by the other side of the Jordan. And multitudes gathered to Him again
and as He was accustomed, He taught them again." 
Mark 10:1
November 3, 2011

     When I read this verse, what strikes me is the repeat of such a word, "Again". Two times within this verse we read, "again". The word again usually implies a repeat to something already done. Most people, myself included do not enjoy doing things multiple times. If I explain to someone how to do something and than am asked again moments later, my patience is tested as i repeat the words i had already spoken. I think of such a scene, it was nothing new, just another day in Jesus' life that multitudes were following Him. Did He ever get a moment of privacy? Did He ever have a moment apart from multitudes gathering around Him? He had just crossed to the other side of the Jordan, and there waiting for Him, more people, again. I put myself in such a place, and flashing before me, a desire to be alone. Yet as i read on in this verse, it does not say that Jesus walked away,or that Jesus showed emotion, but rather, "as He was accustomed, He taught them again."
     I am convicted. My Jesus, although in the midst of another, "again-moment" did not react in impatience, annoyance, or isolation; instead He taught them. He imparted blessing from His lips to the multitude before Him. He gave what He had to them. He gave forth wisdom from His speech--truth and life from His words. Again. 
     How quickly I become impatient in "again-moments". The tone of my voice changes, body posture shows that I would rather be somewhere else, my eyes no longer look into the face of the person I am speaking to, love is left behind. But this should not be so. As Jesus was accustomed to teaching these lost sheep, so I have been called to be accustomed to loving others. Love is patient, love is kind (1 Corinthians 13:4). Again and again, love never fails.
     Father, thank you for the example you set, thank you for teaching us time and time, again and again. Thank you for patiently enduring with us, help me to have a heart that denies the sighs of frustration and embraces the call to give what I can to one gathered before me, whatever the request may be, and to once again put on love. There is no limit to Your love, freely I have received, help me to freely give. AMEN.

1 comment: