Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What do you hear? What do you see?

What do you hear? What do you see?
February 7, 2012     
     Took a walk down to the shore yesterday, a place that I commonly visit. Expecting to find there, a nice soft breeze, beautiful waves, and quietness. I commonly come to this place to get away from everyone else, and to have some time alone. As I walked along the way, the Muslim speaker ringing, the call to prayer echoing--a sound less than quiet. As I walked along the way, desiring to be unnoticed, over and over people stop what they are doing to call you what you are, a "muzungo" meaning, a white person--a attention less than desired. As I walked along the way, approaching the shore, I found the breeze to be far from gentle. A strong wind and white capped waves, a less than enjoyable weather to be sitting within. Nevertheless, I had made it to the shore, I had made it to my destination, where I could still do what I had set out to do, spend some time alone, thinking, praying.
Moments after I sat, I was approached by a stranger. He began conversation by inviting me to prayer. From his dress, the direction he came, and the time of day, I knew he was a Muslim inviting me to the mosque
"No thank you" I replied. Thinking within, I simply want to be left alone right now.
He told me he would return after prayers. Thoughts began to do mathematics in my head, calculating approx. how much time alone that would give me before he would return.
     As I began to embrace my journal, and spend some time in solitude, another stranger walked up.
She began to talk with me of life and common conversational things. Yet when the conversation could of been left in silence, God's grace reminded me of why I was there. The real reason I was to be sitting upon that shore. I thought of that man who was in prayer at that moment, but not in prayer to Jesus, a man in need of the truth. Before me sitting a woman in need of the truth. Within me a selfish person, holding the truth, and not speaking simply because I desired silence instead of conversation.
All these thoughts rushing, and You clear voice, "I am here."
I asked her of Jesus and asked if she was born again. She pulled out a Catholic cross upon her neck and said she believed but that she was not born-again. In an exchange of a few more words, we bowed our head in prayer that she may be born-again and secure of her salvation in Christ. I prayed for her, she prayed in her mother tongue. Together, "Amen". A smile upon both of our faces. Two strangers moments before, now two sisters in Christ. The change, listening to what I heard through God''s voice and focusing on what I saw through eternity's sight.
     Soon, the Muslim returned from prayer, and began to talk with me of religious things. I spoke to him of Jesus and we engaged in a long-while conversation. Our views on Jesus still divided at the end, yet I left him with "a pair of glasses". Asking him questions that would cause him to think through what he believes of Jesus--he has a pair of potential glasses to see much more.
     As I looked out to the waves again, the white caps, the rough waters, the strong wind...a picture of the temptation in life to have a harsh and selfish ear and eye to things. If I listened in on only what was a struggle, the loud wind, I would not of been able to hear the voices of those around me. If I looked only at the rough waters, instead of the strangers eyes before me, I would of missed out on a heavenly glimpse. All this coming down to the personal question, "What do you hear? What do you see?".
 When I heard my Savior have a different plan for my time on the shore, I had a choice to make. When I saw my Savior chose company for me instead of solidarity, I had a choice to make. We call Him Lord, meaning "Master", but do we submit to His plans when they change our own?
     He changed my plans and through it taught me the beautiful sound of "Amen" in prayer with one of His own. He changed my plans and through it taught me to see the beauty of the rough seas, for sometimes they bring ashore opportunities to challenge one's eyes to see more clearly. My question to the Muslim similarly becomes my question to myself, when He has spoken to you, what will you do? 
What will you do with the words of Jesus? 

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, thank you so much for these last three blogs and for opening yourself to the love and light God wants to shine out through you!

    ReplyDelete