Friday, May 4, 2012


"On the same day, Jesus went out of the house and sat by the sea. And great multitudes were gathered together to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore." 
Matthew 13:1-2

     Ever taken the time to just "sit by the sea"? In the midst of a busy day, sneaking away and being alone in the midst of creation? Ah those moments! Here in these verses, I see a tendency within myself, but an example of Jesus to chose a different tendency. Jesus went out of the house to sit by the sea. Probably desiring a moment apart from the crowds, maybe a little privacy, or just time to think, to listen to the sound of the water, to be alone just for a moment. We know that Jesus did not have much time alone. Constantly multitudes were following Him, the disciples always beside Him, and home life, filled. We read later in this chapter the names of His earthly brothers, and a reference to sisters, giving understanding to there being at least eight people in His household. Time to Himself was not common. He could of easily become frustrated with the constant public eyes watching, following, judging Him; yet He didn't. In a moment He found to leave the house and be by the sea, the public eye interrupted, and yet, He stared back with love and compassion. His eyes were fixed on what He came to do...upon the Father's will. Earlier that day we read of while He was teaching the multitudes, He was interrupted with a request from his mother and brothers to speak with Him. His response? "...Whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother" (Matthew 12:49). When I'm surrounded by crowds of people, I quickly find myself desiring a moment "by the sea". A moment to get away and be alone. However, when I am with family; although I still enjoy moments alone, the need for it is far less. I believe that Jesus' perception of the multitudes as His Father's children, His Father's family, is what gave Him the love, patience, and stamina to endure with them, and to look back at them in love. For the love He had for His Father, He was willing to lay aside His "by the sea" moments, and instead spend time teaching these people of God the Father. Jesus' eyes were fixed on what He came to do. He understood that He did not step into the created world to enjoy the sea and moments alone, but to pour out upon the Father's created beings. To point their eyes to the will of God, to give them the invitation to be apart of God's family. Jesus' view of the multitudes as potential family members of God's kingdom gave Him the love He needed to welcome them to Himself. To give them His time, attention, and compassion.
     Do I view my public surroundings as opportunities to welcome another into the family of God? If I viewed others as family, or potential family, those moments of needing to be alone would be far less because their need to know that they are not alone would outweigh. Their need to know of the Father's love. His love is residing in me, I am apart of His family--is it so I can be content, satisfied, and sit alone watching the sea? No.
Sure, there will be times when I will get those "by the sea moments", but overall, there is a greater calling. I am called to minister to God's children, to invite them to know God as Father...to enter into the family of God. Am I viewing them this way? Am I laying down my moments to pour out? Father, give me eyes to see Your people as You see them, and to follow in the steps of Your Son, Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment