Friday, October 21, 2011

     "Jangu" Will I Follow? Will I Come and See?

     I walked upon a fisherman's path today...bringing the call to follow Christ more real, more personal to me.
It began as i boarded a boat, journeyed across a large lake and upon arrival to our destination, was greeted by smiling children upon arrival to our destination, the island of Zinga. Taking the children along the shore by the hand, we began to walk through the village toward the school house. As we passed by homes, children stood in doorways, and around the alleys. From my lips came a simple word, "Jangu" (pronounced Jon-goo), meaning "Come". One by one they left their current occupations and came running to join me, the white girl, or as they would say the "muzungo" that had come to visit. Each step they took, an example of faith. Did they know me? No. Did they know where i was leading them? No. Did they have to ask me a list of questions before deciding to come? No. They left all behind to come and see
     When Jesus began His public ministry, He called several men with nothing more than a simple phrase, "Follow Me", (Matthew 4:19) and in John we read His Words, in response to a question regarding following, "Come and see" (John 1:39). Jesus is seeking those who are willing to follow by faith. That faith would be the compelling motive to leave behind one's present occupation, to stand up and take that first step to come and see, that their faith may than be made into sight as they walk with Him--following Him along the path of life. What a call! What faith! And what blessings awaited those who stepped out of the doorways of their comforts and their plans, and chose to follow Him. Oh the things they saw! the lessons they learned! the nearness to the Savior of mankind! the heavenly things revealed to them! The following may of required faith, but it surely included the blessings of faith. How do I daily respond to such a call? Is one simple word from my Lord enough for me to drop all I am doing, all I hold dear, to obey? When He says, "Jangu" am I willing to go?
     After leading the children to the school house, we made a plan to play games in a nearby meadow. Soon, were were walking along a different pathway, leading to a field. The meadow was in sight, but still afar off. Along the road, a couple different paths that branched from it would of led you to the field; however, these children kept walking, choosing to follow in the path that I would choose. The distance to one path was clearly shorter and less treacherous; meanwhile, the one i had chosen took a little longer and was filled with some unleveled grounds, unexpected rocks, and a need to trust the hand one was holding. Nevertheless, these children kept looking ahead, trusting their hand in mine. They seemed to care not that the road had its difficulties, because the company they were enjoying meant more to them, and they had full trust that I would get them to the desired field. 
     As we approached the field, the previous moments hit me in correlation to my walk with Christ. Why can't I trust Him as these little children were trusting me? That when unexpected difficulties come upon the pathway of my life, i would trust the hand of my Lord that is leading me. He has promised to never let me go, to never forsake His children, so why do I doubt so quickly when the path becomes uneven? Did He promise a smooth path? No. But He promised to get us to the field of promise...heaven awaits the servants of God.  He has promised us eternal life. He has promised us that He works all things together for good to those who love Him (Roman 8:28). Do I believe these things to be true? Than why do these eyes stray and seek the shorter way? The path less traveled is commonly the one that is most filled with blessings. For out of trying times, come growth, and further knowledge of the God we love. You, my Father have called out to me, "Jangu" You have called me to come, place my hand and life in Your control, and trust Your leading as we go forth into Your field. 
     Your Word has declared, the harvest is truly plentiful, but the laborers are few (Matthew 9:37). You are seeking for those whose hearts are loyal to You. A heart that is not seeking blessings alone, but seeking reward for blessing Your heart. The blessings of the life of faith. The heart of a faithful laborer, the heart of a servant. Wherever you are, if you are a servant of the Lord, you are daily being lead within a field by your Lord. Opportunities to be an example of Jesus to others, to shine as a light, to have a grace-filled mouth, to share your story--your life in Christ. We claim to live for Christ, so why would He not be apart of all we put our hands to do in this life? So be it in a classroom, be it in a office building, be it making lattes and cappuccinos, be it grilling food, be it cleaning toilets, be it fixing engines, be it teaching children, be it sitting in meetings, be it painting a house, be it wherever you are, whatever you are doing, be yourself found to be a faithful servant within the field He has lead you to. 
From walking a fisherman's path today, I learned more of our God's heart, that we would follow Him that He may make us into fishers of men (Mark 1:17).
Jesus, caller of our hearts, please strengthen our faith, that we would follow You with faith like a child. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend!!!! The creator of the Heavens and Earth knew what He was doing when He designed you and He knew when He sent you to Africa that you would be able to share these things with all of us. Thank You for your obedience.

    ReplyDelete