Saturday, January 14, 2012

Banked on Eternity

Banked on Eternity

"Our heavenly Banker delights to cash His own notes." -Spurgeon

Yesterday I went to the bank to exchange some money. I was uncertain as to what I would receive in exchange for the money I had in my hand. I was exchanging from Uganda Shillings to Kenyan Shillings, but in faith that it would be a good rate for the sign outside stated a rather high exchange number, I entered. Upon arrival to the counter I was asked for my form of identification...a passport or drivers license. Caught off guard to need such identification, I pondered and realized that I had no form of identification on me. The little bag I was carrying--nothing. I felt so vulnerable standing before the teller, unable to prove who I was! Thoughts raced in my head, I am in a place that is not my home, a foreign land, if something should happen to me, I have no way to prove who I am! There is no form of identification available. Nothing. 
These thoughts than transfered as You taught me a heavenly lesson through it. 
My identity is not in paper, but in standing-- I am Christs' and before God, the heavenly Banker, I am secure. My soul secure. Within this foreign land that I dwell, home awaits...eternity is yet to come. Our good Banker delights to give to His children, to those who are His. But just as I would only exchange that which i would use for this time, because the Kenyan Shillings would be worthless to me once I entered Uganda again, so should our dealings be with our identity in this world. We are called to be in this world but not of it. Do our dealings as necessary, but to truly spend and be spent on Christ and His people. Our aim should be for the exchange rate in the life to come--storing up treasure for the heavenlies. Seeking eternal rewards. 
Our Heavenly Banker is not short on exchange, the more you bring to Him, the more He returns. We bring to Him that which we cannot use on our own, He molds, and gives back to us that which we can use in this time to bring glory to Him. Think of the things He bestows in your life...gifts, talents, finances, ideas, strength, these things He gives that we would in turn use for His glory, for the furtherance of His Kingdom to come. Not that we may advance in this life, but to be preparing for the life to come. 
My identity? in nothing else, but the work of Christ that redeemed my life. My possessions? to be surrendered to the hands of Him who gives and takes away. My resources? coming from the source of Life who gives freely to those who ask. He is ready to give from His heavenly storehouse, but we must come to His bank, identifying ourselves with His Son, and seeking good things to be used for the good of His will and His work. These prayers, never left unanswered. Dear friend, what do you find in your hand today? What do you have that is ready to be exchanged for something you can use? Come before His throne of grace. He is ready to give you the security and blessings that come for one seeking to be banked on eternity. Amen. 

"How much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" Luke 11:13b

No comments:

Post a Comment