Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Missionary Walk

 A Missionary Walk

December 13, 2011
     Before packing a bag, boarding a plane, and coming to Africa for this season, I asked the Lord, "What does it mean to be a missionary?" I had spent many hours in a classroom learning of different cultures, ideas of how to reach different people groups, different methods to missions work, but when the clock is ticking and you are soon leaving to go out and put these things into practice, you want a simple, clear, and applicable definition to such a title, a missionary. 
     The Lord spoke to me in such a clear and sweet way, He said, "A missionary is someone who loves Jesus. Someone who walks with Me...thats it, just walk with Me along the road of life, love Me, serve Me, walk with Me, and help others along the way that I bring into your path." That simple, that profound. 
     After over 81 days here, keeping that simple truth in mind, but finding it to be a struggle to not over think things or become discouraged when you don't feel that you are doing or helping enough compared to the work to be done and needs surrounding, a four mile walk home reminded me of the joys of being a missionary.
     After giving away my transportation money to another in need, I found myself walking home with only enough change to get me half way, the rest would be on foot. Detours such as, traveling across the village with a child from Saturday club to fill a jerrycan of water, or conversation with friends along the way, or a stop at the weekly market, all lead to a meeting God had planned. Walking down the road a conversation with a young man pondering the question of being "born again." As we walked I learned that he was headed to a Christian fellowship night. I then asked, "Oh great! So you are born again?" His response, a puzzled look, a laugh, and a repeat, "born again?" He shared that he had recently been asked that question and regretted his response of "no". He seemed to be confused about what it meant to be born again, and how to apply the knowledge he had of God and the Christian walk, and how to overcome addictions he is facing. We walked along the road talking, sharing, I could feel the Lord walking with us. The walk ended with Amen, and we said farewell to a new friend, challenging him to go before the Lord with the things upon his heart and to live his life by faith, born again, to walk with Jesus. He smiled, and walked away. His posture, His countenance different than how we met him before the sun had set.
     This is what being a missionary is all about. Encouraging others to walk with Jesus, just as you are walking with HIm. It's not about us, who we are, or what we desire, its all about who we are in Christ. We need not please another, because we are spoken for, we are Christ's. Kept in Him. Living for Him. Walking with Him. Being available for His work. This evening, upon my walk home, I was able to be used by Him to minister to one of His beloved, and through it, I was reminded of how much He loves me, that He would use me, that He would bring me to this place, that He would give me a life with a mission, a purpose, a reason. Being a missionary is His design for all who are His. We have something to share, not in and of us, no, but in and of who we are in Him. His Word declares how beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news, and He has called us to go (Romans 10 :15, Matthew 28:19) . 
We are His missionaries wherever we go, let's walk with Him, and leave the rest in His hands. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment