Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Crowns to Come

Crowns to Come

     When I finished pondering these things, I was left with a picture to share…certainly I was not physically there, but in my mind I entered a room filled with praise, the peace within was felt down to the inner of my core. Within such a place there was joy, you could feel it like a mist of rain after a storm. Those within this room had come through life's storms and were now positioned in a place where the silver-lining was glorious, and the trials of yesterday incomparable to the joys of the present. I watched as crowns were given according to the deeds of these done during their time below. I began to recognize some faces as familiar persons I knew in times past. Mr. Johnson, surely he will receive such a large crown, for he seemed to be a man with a very put together life upon earth; yet as I greeted him along the way, I was surprised to see his crown was rather small. Not small in a shocking way, just not as large as my mind might of imagined based on the life he appeared to have. As I walked I saw another, Mrs. Stevensons, a woman very wealthy in her time upon earth, but who gave much to the poor, surprisingly her crown was smaller than I imagined. Certainly she lived well upon the earth, but I expected a larger crown. As I continued walking, there was a man I hardly recognized, he seemed familiar but the name I couldn't remember. In gazing at him I remembered his face from a mission trip I took when I was young, he was a poor man within the church, who had nothing to offer, his home of dirt floor, his clothing of humility, but who gave of himself as if a rich man, and served with joy everyone along his path. I could not help but notice the crown he wore. Adorned with unimaginable jewels, nothing of the sorts he had possession of in his earthly life, but now freely given to him, large, beautiful. Many others in the room had seen some of the jewels within their crown during their time on earth, had experienced such possessions, but here-in I was surprised to see so many who had never had access to such of the world's beauties, were now possessing crowns filled with jewels and diamonds, of tremendous beauty.

     With all the sights I had taken in, I needed a moment to ponder. I  found a near by bench and sat to think…
Perhaps what I perceive as wealth upon the earth is not measured the same above? I was certain that many of these would have larger crowns, yet I am finding that the poorest in the life below are here in found ever rich. They had sown a seed that did not appear to produce beauty below, but here has sprouted into a full harvest of plenty. 
In circling around the room, I saw people of every tribe, tongue, and color, and some cultures seemed to have many with large crowns, while others seemed to have the majority of small crowns.
These things were evident enough to not be overlooked…it appeared that many who were considered "poor" or "lacking" below were far from poor or lacking within this place. 
It was as if those who had less in the temporal life, were given much in the eternal, blessings to enjoy for endless time.
I began to think about the things I considered trials below…were my trails to be compared with the daily struggles many of these faced? Yet as I look at them now, I would never of considered them to of been from the third world, or of a place of lack, for their crowns, their joy, their abundance was overwhelming.

     I began to ponder my perspective on life, sufferings, and trials. God must not see as man sees. God saw all of these in their places below and He has given to each according above. He must consider things different than you and I.
I began to muse upon how much time I spend avoiding hardships in my life below, yet these did not avoid, but embraced where they were and now, I am certain they do not remember the struggles of their lives below.

     Moments later, I found all of these moving with one accord to another place. I asked where they were all going, and with an expression on their faces I will never forget, they said, "We cannot keep these crowns, we are going to give them back to the One who gave it all!"
Tears filled my eyes as they spoke these words with such self-less love. Convicted in my heart I thought of all the things I held onto back at home, all the things I was so slow to give away, all the things I fear to lack, all the ways I try to run from trials, all the time I waste looking for comfort and ease in my day to day.

     Before I could realize, I was conscious of my place of reality…there I was in my little home, surrounded by all my possessions, and left with my heart stirred from the vision I had just seen. All these things around me are gifts. I have been given small crowns within this life…but how often my attitude is vastly different from those above. Am I willing to give them back? When I see someone in need do I offer the shirt I have or do I cling to my comforts, hoping to never be as unfortunate as the one in need? Do I willingly give back to the One who has given it all to me? Perhaps these in need that He allows to enter my path are by His design opportunities for me to give back to Him. Perhaps these less fortunate are the ones who will receive the big crowns to come, and I might be the used of God to show them the truth, they they may go and bless others. Perhaps if I spent less time trying to keep myself comfortable and gave for the sake of others having, I might experience the joy of having little to hold onto that I might one day have something of value to give back to the One who gave it all for me.
This day, I am pondering this picture…this thought…and wondering what kind of a crown I am seeking, where do I want my value to be found and enjoyed, in the temporal or in the time to come?

Oh Father, please give us hearts to give out what we have been freely given. For we, who have been so blessed, may we not waste such time seeking to be comfortable, but giving up that others may be blessed, giving away that others may see and know Your way. God change our perspectives, may we not run from hardship, but embrace them as an opportunity to be etched into a gem to come, to give back in honor and worship to You.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment