Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Deeper Need For Prayer. . .

Acts 20:36
"And when he had said these things. he knelt down and prayed with them all."

Before bowing his knees in prayer with the brethren, Paul pleaded with them on two things, the first, to support the weak. The author of Hebrews wrote these words, "strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed." (Hebrews 12:12-13). I have always placed myself in this verse in times of weakness or when one I love is weak and thought. yes! Weariness is hanging around, knees are weak, thinking, I need this kind of strengthening, but how does this come about?
Secondly Paul pleads with them and reminds them of the blessings of giving rather than receiving. A call that I know is true, yet I still daily struggle with, so in this I too agree, thinking well likewise I need this kind of giving, but how does this come about?
Paul knew the struggles the church was about to face, he knew the struggles he himself was currently facing, I am sure he felt the need for strength and a new fresh look at the blessings of giving. He had given all the days of his life in Christ for the sake of the gospel and was now entering into a time where it was asking for more of him. 
When fear could of been surrounding Paul on all sides, causing his knees to buckle and fall, he knelt down upon those knees in prayer.
Paul demonstrated the answer to such question of how to attain strength in the face of weakness and a heart to give in the face of a taking society.
Paul demonstrated the act of kneeling, the act of bowing down, supported by a knee or knees in a sign or reverence or submission, and in prayer submitted his life back to Christ.
Spurgeon once said, "A prayer-less soul is a Christ-less soul" and although bold in speech, truth this is. If Christ is our intercessor, the One we come before as we bow in prayer, a life without prayer is a life missing Christ as the Intercessor.
Christ pleaded with His disciples in His last hours before the cross, "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matthew 26:41).
I believe that these moments in prayer, in submission to the Father's will  are what gave Paul the stamina to stand in the face of trial and to die for Christ. 
Prayer is deeper than closing the eyes and allowing the silence to reveal a awe and wonder...it is the practical submission of your life to Christ. It is the realizing that you alone cannot live out what you are called to do, but Christ in you is able. Prayer enables us to see things accomplished that never would of been if we sat in a state of muteness. Prayer  is us giving back to Him the control, that we may watch and see what He will do through our lives.
Application for Myself:
How am I to respond to the time of weakness and the times of not wanting to give-out anymore. Maybe its giving out love, or giving out forgiveness, or giving of my own goods to one in need, or giving out grace, simply being obedient to the call to give...I am to respond in prayer. When I need the strength to stand and keep giving, I need only the strength it takes to pray. I need to spend more time in prayer, because I need more of Christ controlling my life. Today I will set aside a special time, to sit in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment