Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Prayer. . .

April 6, 2012
"After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with witch He was girded." 
John 13:5  

     I just returned from living within a country where an understanding of dirt upon one's feet has been established. Before leaving Africa, I questioned if my feet would forever be slightly stained from the deep tint of Uganda's reddened dirt. I can better identify with the Jewish cultural practice of washing feet. There are two things known of this practice: the action was necessary and practical, and it was the lowly job of a servant. These two known facts give us a deeper understanding of God's heart manifest in Jesus. God's only Son came to earth, bringing to us what was necessary for life, ministered practically to the needs of the people around Him, and set for us the example of life in Christ, marked within serving by washing the feet of others. 
     When I think back to my time in Africa, usually a few things position in my head, some being daily sights, some people's faces, but when I think of how the things I experienced in Africa that have girded and prepared me for what is to come, I think of this scene...Upon the island of Zinga, night time, the only light, that which was coming from a single bulb within a weathered church, and the reflection of colors from the white sheet and projector portraying "The Jesus Film". Surrounding me, children on every side, some sleeping on my lap, some holding my hand, others focused and engaged on the film. The air was brisk and flies were around, but from the lowly ground we looked up to watch the life of Jesus in the setting of the last supper. Hearing the message in Luganda, I could not understand all that was being said, but I knew the story because I knew John chapter 13. As Jesus spoke, my heart was struck, as if God was girding me in that moment with a picture to keep as I return to the states and face the task of being a missionary in daily life--a girding of desire to carry on the ministry of this Man. A deep yearning to carry on what He began. After such a passion stirred, I watched onward, what did He do next? He practically met the necessary need of those around Him as He washed His disciples feet. He took on the role of a servant, and washed. He did that which was practical and common in that time and place. 
Application for Myself:
     I have returned, I am back in the United States now. But remembering this moment, immediately takes me back to Africa, to sitting in the dark receiving Light. I can easily say, I am ready to continue the ministry of this Jesus whom I love, yet than turn and deny from the next scene. He showed His love through washing the feet of those around Him. I may not be called to literally wash the feet of those around me, but I am called to do that which is necessary and practical within this time and place. This means moment by moment, living ready to wash. Ready to humble myself and lay down my comforts for another, practically. I think, honestly, sometimes the thought of washing someone's literal feet would be easier than forgiving when you have been wronged, or keeping your mouth shut when everything within desires to fire back at an accusing comment, or giving up your enjoyments so another may be comforted, or to love without contempt when a struggle of jealousy arises when another is given what you are waiting for; yet if I truly desire to carry on the ministry that this Man began, this is the ministry I must do. As I have returned and soon return to what used to be my home, I pray that this scene washes me in such a way that I may be apart of His work. As He washed Jesus told Peter it was necessary for Him to do so if he should have any part in Him (Vs.8). I desire a part in Him, and with Him in His work, so Jesus, today my request is this...WASH ME, that I may be used to carry on Your ministry, the ministry of the cross--death to self, bringing life in Christ. 
In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment